Guasacaca Recipe (Avocado Salsa Verde)
This Guasacaca recipe is inspired by the traditional Venezuelan Avocado Salsa Verde. It’s has a nice bold, spicy, and citric taste thanks to the aromatic herbs.
- 1 small onion cut into chunks
- 1 small green bell pepper stemmed, seeded, and roughly chopped
- 3 cloves garlic
- ½ cup packed fresh cilantro leaves roughly chopped
- ¼ cup packed fresh parsley leaves roughly chopped
- ¼ cup white vinegar
- 1 tbsp. lime juice about 1 lime
- ⅓ cup olive oil
- 1 ripe Choquette avocado seeded and roughly diced (see note 1)
- ½ small habanero to taste; stemmed, seeded, and roughly chopped (see note 2)
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
Add all the ingredients, except the avocado, habanero, and salt and pepper into the blender or food processor. Pulse to mix everything together. Add the avocado and mix until smooth.
Add a little bit of habanero at the time, mix, and taste. Add more and if needed (see note 2). Season with salt and pepper and mix again. Transfer to a glass jar and store in the fridge.
- Choquette’s are bigger types of avocado from the Dominican Republic. You can substitute 1 Choquette for 2 Haas avocados.
- Habanero is a very spicy pepper. I recommend adding a tiny bit in first, tasting it, and then adding more bit by bit until you get the desired taste.