This Oreo-Cheesecake Brownie recipe is a combination of two great desserts: cheesecake and brownie. The brownie base is chewy and rich with chocolate flavor while the top layer is a creamy, light, and smooth cheesecake. For the lovers of Oreo, Cheesecake, and Brownies (aren’t we all?!), this Oreo-Cheesecake Brownie recipe will blow your mind!
How to Make Oreo-Cheesecake Brownie from Scratch
Since this recipe consists of many ingredients and steps have them measured and ready to make the process less overwhelming. Having properly measured ingredients is key to successful baking because baking is about precision and accuracy.
- All ingredients need to be at room temperature. It helps incorporate the ingredients better.
- Brownie gets hand-mixed, while the cheesecake does require an electric mixer. Do not use an electric mixer for the brownie. Using an electric mixer for the brownie allows air into the batter which results in lighter, cake-like brownies instead of dense, rich ones.
- On the other hand, for the cheesecake, you need to beat the cream cheese until smooth and light. This is best done by using an electric mixer. However, it is advisable to use the mixer at a low speed to prevent bubbles which could cause the cheesecake to crack.
- Do not continuously open the oven as this can crack the cheesecake as well. Only open it when you think it’s ready.
- Use metric measurement instead of imperial (weight instead of cups). This is because metric measurements provide the accuracy required for baking. Metric measurements also help to scale the recipes up and down.
Step 1: Mix the Brownie Batter
Melt the chocolate au-bain marie. While the sauce is still warm add in the sugar and whisk. The temperature helps the sugar to dissolve. Then, gradually add in all the ingredients while whisking.
Step 2: Pour & Layer the Oreo’s
Pour the brownie in the baking tin and spread it around. Then create a layer with the Oreo’s. You’ll need about 20 Oreo’s in total.
Step 3: Make the Cheesecake Mixture
In a bowl, gradually add all the ingredients for the cheesecake and mix using an electric mixer. Then fold the crushed Oreo’s into the mixture and pour them into the baking tin, on top of the Oreo’s.
Step 4: Bake
Bake for around 45 minutes or until you insert a toothpick and it comes out clean. Let it cool completely before taking it out of the baking tin.
Step 5: Chocolate Sauce
While baking or resting, create the chocolate sauce by melting the chocolate with the butter again. Once the Oreo-Cheesecake is completely cooled down, you can garnish with crushed Oreo’s and drizzle the sauce with a fork. If the Oreo-Cheesecake is not fully cooled, the cheesecake nor the sauce won’t firm up.
Frequently Asked Questions
It is important to refrigerate items with a large amount of cream cheese, like cheesecake. This is because they’re dairy products and can go bad at room temperature leading to bacterial overgrowth and food poisoning. For items like brownies, it is not necessary to refrigerate them as they only have a small amount of cream cheese and the sugar in them absorbs excess moisture. However, Oreo Cheesecake Brownies contain both cheesecake and brownies. This means that they require refrigeration to prevent the cheesecake layer from going bad.
This specific recipe calls for semi-sweet chocolate which has around 60% cacao. Some people prefer their brownies to have a richer taste and be less sweet. To achieve this, substitute half of the chocolate with a chocolate that has around 70% cacao.
Oreo-Cheesecake Brownie Recipe (Inspired by Tasty)
- 3 oz. (85 gr) bittersweet chocolate (chips or chopped)
- ½ stick (57 gr) unsalted butter (+ extra for greasing)
- ¾ cup (175 gr) granulated sugar
- 2 small eggs
- 2 tbsp. (18 gr) unsweetened cacao powder
- ¼ cup + 1 tbsp. (30 gr) all-purpose flour
- 1 pinch of salt
- 20 Oreo cookies
- ¾ cup (125 gr) cream cheese (softened)
- ¼ cup (60 gr) granulated sugar
- ½ cup (140 gr) sour cream
- ½ tbsp. vanilla extract
- ¼ cup (57 gr) heavy whipping cream
- 1 medium egg
- 2.5 oz. (75 gr) Oreo cookies (crushed + extra for garnishing)
- 1½ oz. (43 gr) bittersweet chocolate ( chopped)
- ¼ stick (28 gr) unsalted butter
- Preheat the oven to 350°F/175°C and cover a brownie baking tin with parchment paper and grease with butter.
- In a pan with boiling water, place a heat-proof bowl on top and add the bittersweet chocolate and butter. Stir to melt the chocolate au bain-marie. Once the chocolate is melted and smooth, remove the bowl, and clean the bottom of the bowl. Add the sugar and stir. Then add, in order, the eggs, unsweetened cacao powder, all-purpose flour, and salt. Whisk to incorporate all the ingredients well. Pour the brownie batter into the baking sheet. Place a layer of Oreo cookies on top and set aside.
- In a bowl, beat the cream cheese with the sugar using a electric mixer. Add the sour cream, heavy cream, vanilla and mix well. Then add the eggs and keep mixing until everything is well incorporated. Fold the Oreo’s into the batter and pour it carefully into the brownie tin.
- Bake for around 45 minutes or until you insert a toothpick and it comes our clean.
- In the meantime, over boiling water, place a heat-proof bowl and add the bittersweet chocolate and butter. Stir to melt the chocolate au bain-marie.
- Once the Oreo-Cheesecake is completely cooled down (see note 1), add some crushed Oreo’s on top and use a fork drizzle the chocolate sauce on top.
- Make sure the Oreo-Cheesecake is fully cooled down before taking it out of the baking tin.