A good cocktail is one with a great flavor combination that will surprise your palette. For this Coconut Mint Lemonade cocktail recipe we combined the best summer flavors to create a cocktail that is refreshing, tangy, with a hint of sweetness.
This cocktail recipe is inspired by the popular Limonada de Coco from Colombia. While the Limonada de Coco doesn’t usually include alcohol (and is frozen instead of shaken) we copied that tangy coconut flavor to create this amazing summer drink.
Ingredients & Substitutes
The main ingredients of the Coconut Mint Lemonade are lemon juice, dark rum, and coconut cream. These three ingredients are what give this cocktail the most flavor, while the mint and simple syrup add sweetness and a fresh aroma.
You can find coconut cream at most grocery stores around the world. If not, you’re bound to find it online. Don’t confuse coconut cream for coconut milk though. They may be from the same food category, but coconut cream has more fat content than coconut milk making the consistency much thicker. I also find that coconut cream has a richer flavor compared to its counterpart. That’s why for this particular recipe we don’t recommend swapping the coconut cream for coconut milk.
I went with dark rum for this cocktail because gives it a sweet oaky flavor. However, you can substitute dark rum for light rum. It won’t have that complexity in taste, but it will taste good nonetheless.
Always use freshly squeezed lemons when making cocktails, however, if you can’t get your hands on fresh lemon juice the packaged version will do. Just make sure to buy enough and make sure they’re not already sweetened.
How do you make simple syrup?
If you don’t know what simple syrup is, it’s sugar in liquid form often used for drinks as liquid mixes better with other liquids. Granulated sugar will sink to the bottom but simple syrup won’t. To make simple syrup just add equal parts sugar and water in a pan and let it simmer until the sugar dissolves completely (don’t stir) and thickens slightly. Transfer the clear syrup to a glass jar and let it cool in the fridge. You can store simple syrup for up to 3 months in the fridge.
Coconut cream will separate from the liquid when you let it sit. Make sure to give people something to stir their drink with, like a straw. This is also why it’s best not to batch this cocktail. If you do want to make this cocktail ahead of time, then make the lemonade with rum beforehand then shake the coconut cream into the drink just before serving.
Coconut Mint Lemonade Cocktail Recipe
- 120 ml lemon juice (freshly squeezed)
- 300 ml water
- 4 tablespoons simple syrup (more/less to taste (see note 1))
- 80 ml. dark rum
- 5 tablespoons coconut cream
- Crushed ice
- Bunch of mint leaves
- Sliced lemon ( to garnish)
- Fill your shaker with the lemon juice and water. Gradually add the simple syrup, stir, and taste every time. Adjust the sweetness to your liking. Then add the rum and coconut cream. Fill with ice and shake.
- In a glass, muddle the mint and pour (don’t strain) the cocktail.
- Add extra ice if necessary and garnish with some mint leaves and a lemon slice.
- To make simple syrup just add equal parts sugar and water in a pan and let it simmer until the sugar dissolves completely (don’t stir) and thickens slightly. Transfer the clear syrup to a glass jar and let it cool in the fridge. Simple syrup can be stored for up to 3 months.